Southern California is a disaster theme park. We get all kinds of badness here, from high winds all the way up to major earthquakes. You need to know at least the basics about our local kinds of disasters so you have an idea of how they might affect you.
MyHazards (Cal OES) - Plug in your address – at home, at work, at school – and see if you’re at risk from earthquakes, floods, landslides, wildfires or tsunamis.
What might happen here in Buena Park? Here’s information about the most likely types of emergencies in our city.
- Everything you’d want to know about earthquake risks, preparing, and what to do when an earthquake happens.
- Some parts of Buena Park can flood (and have flooded) when all the wrong conditions come together.
Stay Out, Stay Alive (Orange County)
- Channel, river and creek safety tips.
Hazardous Materials Accidents
- HAZMAT incidents can come from truck wrecks, train derailments, or the pool-supply warehouse next door.
- We live in a desert -- it gets hot. What to do when it gets *really* hot.
- Why the lights go out, and how they get fixed.
Pandemics and Disease
- Tropical diseases are here, and more are coming. Here's how they get around.
What other things happen in Orange County?
Landslides and Mudslides (Los Angeles County)
Tsunami Preparedness (CA Office of Emergency Services)
Nuclear Power Plants (FEMA)