Encroachment / Right-of-Way Permits
The Public Works Department is responsible for inspecting all work done within street limits and the public right of way. An Encroachment Permit is required for any work done in or to the Public Right of Way. Please remember that in some cases, a pre-job inspection may be needed before a permit can be issued.
Some of the things that permits are needed for include:
- Widening or replacing your driveway approach
- Having a dumpster placed in front of your property
- Landscaping work between the sidewalk and curb
- Closing streets for block parties
- Repairing your sewer connection to a city main
Permits for work in the right of way are not over the counter permits. These permits require review and approval prior to work. It can take up to two weeks to be issued an encroachment permit depending on the type work being done. Please plan accordingly.
To request an encroachment permit, please use this form. Deliver the completed form to:
City of Buena Park
Department of Public Works
6650 Beach Blvd
Buena Park, CA 90622
Permit fees are determined at the time of permit approval. For information regarding fees click here. For questions about permit fees or how to obtain a permit, please contact the Engineering Services Division at (714) 562-3670 or email@example.com.
Public Construction Projects: Water Pollution Control Plan (WPCP) Preparation. A Water Pollution Control Plan (WPCP) must be prepared and approved for public construction projects with soil disturbance areas of under one acre in total. The following are links to the WPCP template and the CASQA Construction Runoff BMP Manual.
Pre-Construction Meetings and Inspections
Contractors are required to schedule a pre-construction meeting in the field with a City Inspector, no less than 48-hours prior to the start of construction. In some cases a pre-construction meeting will be required prior to the issuance of a permit. Inspections for lane clsoures, excavations, detours, hauling, or final inspections require 24-hour notice. To schedule a pre-construction meeting or inspection, please call the Engineering Services Division at (714) 562-3670.
A transportation permit is required to transport an oversized or overweight or transport special mobile equipment on city streets through the City of Buena Park. Transportation permits require an advance notice of 2 WORKING DAYS minimum. Variance permits can take longer due to advance approval. There a four (4) types of Transportation Permits:
- Single Trip Transportation Permit.
- Hauling Permit - for hauling construction debris. Additional requirements include:
- Variance Permit - for Loads over 14' wide and 15'6" high.
- Annual Transportation Permits - a company can apply for an annual permit for multiple vehicles that are within legal limits. Additional requirements include:
Signed Transportation Permit Conditions are required for each permit as well as a marked map indicating route. For information regarding fees click here or for questions about permit fees or how to obtain a permit, please contact the Engineering Services Division at (714) 562-3670.
- Transportation Permit Conditions
- Construction Site NPDES Certification (required for any Building or Grading Permit)
- Overhead Street Banner Application
- Engineered Grading Certification