The term "short term rentals" (STRs) pertains to the rental of residential units to occupants on a short-term basis, generally less than 30 days. STR hosts (or operators) located within the City of Buena Park are required to obtain a STR permit, STR home inspection, and a City of Buena Park Business License before offering STR accommodations.
Here's more information regarding Buena Park's Short Term Rental regulations:
Want to report a complaint? Please call 24/7 Hotline Number - 714-276-1660
To apply for a short term rental permit -
At the bottom of this page you will find the link to application portal. Once you begin to fill in the application, it is not possible to save the application progress. It must be completely filled and submitted. Following is a list of documents you should be prepared to upload in order to submit the application:
1. Two of the following documents:
· Driver’s license
· Voter registration
· Vehicle registration
· Utility bills
· Property tax records showing the name of the host(s) and the short-term rental property address
2. Floor Plan and Site Plan
· A sketch of the floor plan, which identifies sleeping areas, proposed maximum number of guests, evacuation route(s), location of fire extinguisher(s), and approximate square footage in the vacation rental unit. The maximum number of vehicles allowed for overnight occupants, including host’s and other long-term residents' vehicles and location of designated on-site parking spaces.
3. Letter of No Objection from Homeowner's Association (if applicable).
4. Proof of Insurance, or a quote in the amount of $1,000,000 covering the short-term rental property.
5. Standard Rental Agreement. All rental agreements shall include below listed 'house rules':
A. No limousine or bus parking, and no stopping without the driver's presence, shall be allowed in any manner that would interfere with emergency vehicle access. In the event of an emergency, the vehicle driver shall immediately move the vehicle from the emergency access area.
B. The property shall be maintained free of debris both on-site and on the street.
C. Quiet times shall be from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
D. Guests shall not create unreasonable noise or disturbances, engage in disorderly conduct, or violate provisions of any law pertaining to noise or disorderly conduct. The owner retains the right to contact the Police Department in the event renters or guests fail to comply.
E. The short-term rental unit may not be used for any wedding, auction, commercial function, or other similar events.
F. Discharge of fireworks is prohibited except on the 4th of July, between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
G. Maximum occupancy permitted is 2 adults per bedroom plus two adults. Children under 18 are not counted towards maximum occupancy.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 related restrictions and challenges, the City has authorized the temporary self-certification inspection in place of in-person property inspections. In-person property inspections may be authorized on an as needed basis or once the health order has been changed. Review the items you will be self-certifying to by clicking here.