SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL ROOM ADDITIONS
- Submit three (3) sets of complete drawings, as detailed below, to the Planning Division and obtain zoning and plot plan approval. If your room addition exceeds 50% of the existing habitable area of the home, it will require Planning Commission approval which takes approximately 4-6 weeks. Contact the Planning Department for more information at (714) 562-3620.
- Submit same plans to Engineering Services Department and obtain owner's grading certification waiver.
- If building addition exceeds 499 square feet, you will be required to pay State mandated school impact fees. For additional information, contact the Anaheim Union High School District at (714) 999-3511 or Fullerton Joint Union High School District at (714) 671-4331.
- The Building Division will advise you whether fire sprinkler installation will be required.
- Pay fees for issuance of permits.
- Plan check submittal will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. and permits until 5 p.m.
COMPLETE DRAWINGS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- PLOT PLAN: Show all lot dimensions, side yards, distances between building (proposed and existing), and north arrow. (See sample Plot Plan)
- FOUNDATION PLAN: Fully dimensioned with applicable details.
- FLOOR PLAN: Fully dimensioned and labeled. Include floor plan of adjacent existing rooms (window and door sizes).
- FRAMING SECTIONS: Note all appropriate labels, notes and details.
- EXTERIOR ELEVATIONS: Note scale used for drawings and details, show compliance with State Energy Conservation Standards.
Note: If you are adding a two-story addition, or if your addition is not a conventional framing, you will be required to have an Engineer/Architect stamp and sign the drawings and calculations.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING A PLOT PLAN
All plans for new construction, alterations to existing structures, swimming pools or for any construction which requires a building permit will require a plot plan drawn to scale and showing the following:
- The scale used and the north direction;
- The entire lot or parcel of land involved;
- All lot line dimensions and any curve radii;
- The exact location and dimensions of all existing and proposed buildings, structures and construction on the lot, including swimming pools, particularly relation to each other and to property lines;
- The street frontage, including the property line, location of any sidewalks, curb lines, driveway approaches and the center line of adjoining streets;
- All building elevations, excluding covered patios to scale (using a minimum of 1/8' = 1'0"), indicating the type of all external materials used, including the roof, chimney, fascia, eaves, cornices, wall facings, brickwork, windows, doors, exterior stairs and any other architectural features;
- The legal description of the property; the name, address, ZIP code number and telephone number of the legal owner, as well as of the agent, contractor or building if any.
(See sample Plot Plan)
LOT COVERAGE - ROOM ADDITIONS
The following restrictions on lot coverage and setbacks apply only to lots in the RS-6 and RS-8 zones: The maximum area of a lot which may be covered by buildings is 40 percent of the total lot area. Swimming pools are not considered as lot coverage. In addition to the restriction on total lot coverage, not more than 30 percent of the required rear yard may be covered by structures. The required rear yard is defined as an area 25 feet deep across the width of the lot. For example, on a lot 60 feet wide by 100 feet deep, the total allowable coverage by all structures would be 2400 sq. ft. Of this total, no more than 450 sq. ft. may be in the required 25-foot rear yard area.
All buildings, roofed patios, swimming pools or other structures on a residential lot must be setback a minimum of 20 feet from the front property line, five feet from an interior side property line, ten feet from a side property line adjoining a street and 5 feet from a rear property line. In addition, detached structures must be a minimum of six feet from any other structure on the lot.
FOR LOT COVERAGE RESTRICTIONS AND BUILDING SETBACKS IN ALL OTHER RESIDENTIAL ZONES, PLEASE CHECK WITH THE PLANNING DIVISION.