The following programs continue to help our seniors with their basic needs:
Food insecurity is always a concern for seniors, but it has been heightened due to the current crisis and the Safer at Home order.
- The Senior Grocery Program comes to us from Second Harvest. It will provide canned goods for seniors 60+ EVERY Thursday at 10:15am until this crisis is over. This program typically is an in-person process but food is now being distributed via contactless drive-thru. The staff operating this program will follow proper safe-handling guidelines and physical distancing. For more info, please call (714) 236-3870.
- The USDA Food Distribution Program run by Second Harvest provides canned goods for seniors 60+ on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 8:30am. Food is now being distributed via contactless drive-thru. The staff operating this program will follow proper safe-handling guidelines and physical distancing. For more info, please call (714) 236-3870.
- The Congregate Nutrition Program by Meals on Wheels OC will provide a frozen meal to seniors via a drive-through system. Seniors can pick up seven frozen meals on Tuesdays from 11:00am to 12:00pm until the congregate lunch program can be restored. If you're an eligible senior and can't pick up these meals yourself, please give us a call at (714) 236-3870.
- The Home Delivered Meals Program by Meals on Wheels OC is continuing to serve its homebound seniors. Please call Meals on Wheels OC at (714) 823-3294 for eligibility and availability of meals.
- Buena Park Meals on Wheels is continuing its service to Buena Park homebound seniors Monday – Friday. They are accepting new clients at this time. Call Meals on Wheels Buena Park at (714) 995-5826 for more information.
- The Great Plates program provides three free meals a day to seniors from local restaurants. The Orange County is leading this effort. All interested seniors and restaurants can sign up online at https://www.mealsonwheelsoc.org/ or call the county at (714) 263-1425.
The Senior Urgent Transportation Program or Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Program will continue to operate, taking seniors to and from their medicalappointments, grocery shopping trips, and prescription pickups. The program operates on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00am-2:30pm. There is a suggested donation of $1 each way, but no one is turned down if they can't pay. The vehicle is cleaned and wiped down thoroughly before and after each trip. For more info, please call (714) 236-3870.
Resource phone numbers for seniors
Golden Talk – Senior Chat and Crisis Line: 888-604-6533
Friendship Line California: 888-670-1360
The OC Warm-Line: 714-991-6412